Sunday 6 January 2008

Snoots

It seems that cereal boxes are the beginning and end of most snoot designs however I saw the advert for http://www.honlphoto.com in the strobist side bar and thought I'd like some more permanent snoots. I liked the design but wanted a cheaper and more flexible solution. I figured that if I had to carry different lengths around then I could be in a situation where I hadn't brought enough of the right ones. I also wanted them to be robust, portable and not to take up much space. Here is what I came up with:


A sheet of foam (Foamies etc.) and a velcro strap! Simple hey - but, look, I can fold the foam in half, long ways, and wrap it around the flash for a 10cm snoot:


Or just wrap it around for a 20cm snoot:


Or wrap it around the other way for a 30cm snoot:


On the last snoot I employed a second velcro strap to keep the front end in order - this strap could be tightened to restrict the light further. Obviously these 3 lengths are only some of the countless possibilities available. I also intend to get some white foam sheets too and see what difference that makes to the light cast by the snoot.

Here are some test shots to demonstrate the snoots in action:

10cm

20cm

30cm

Set up

For the shots of the snoots I used one shoot through brolly positioned above and camera left.


And for the light size tests I used a snooted flash (obviously) left of and in front of the camera, about 80cm from the wall.

No comments: