Wednesday 9 January 2008

Off camera TTL cord

Sometimes its handy to use one of the more advanced features of a flash, for example the AF assist lamp, high speed sync or modelling light when lighting off camera. Obviously these features aren't available over PC cord so you need the full TTL connection. Long TTL cords aren't cheap so I bought a 1m cord from a major UK high street retailer and modified it to make it as long as I want.


I cut out the springy coiled lead that it came with and soldered in a pair of male and female PS2 mouse/keyboard connectors. The reason I chose these connectors was because they had enough pins and I already had a few spare extension leads knocking around. I have 2 mouse extension leads that are each 2m long so I can go up to 4 m with them or I have also made a lead from 13 metres (approx) of cat5 network cable with mouse connectors soldered on each end. I've not found a need for such a long cable yet but I wanted to see if it would work which it did.



Set up


I used the same 1 brolly set up as I used in the snoots post.

No comments: